Saturday, April 18, 2020

On the workbench - April

This is what I've got planned for April. These figures have been sitting around for years, so it's nice to finally get to work on them. I've been a bit of a stickler for miniature figure sizes in the past, but must be mellowing with age or something.


They’re based on washers, with a little bit of filler or clay to even out the surface, and some pumice paste for texture. For metals, like the chainmail on a few figures, I gently scrape away the undercoat (black gesso) with a hobby knife.

Here's a rundown of manufacturers (l to r):

Eureka Miniatures: one of Beowulf’s companions (who seems to be a stereotypical representation of a Frank), a Viking and a Saxon archer. These are really nicely sculpted by Alan Marsh, with lovely details.

"Phwoar! Check out that bloke on the left with the furs - he must be a barbarian, yeah?"
"Nah mate, that's Lucius - he just came back from a holiday in the Rhineland."

By the 5th century it seems that warriors of the period had abandoned this peculiar style of dress, although the fashion does have some precedent in literary sources. I wonder if he might instead serve better as a lumberjack? I'm still looking for reliable information on fashions of the time (but this looks promising).

Black Tree Design: The figure in the centre has had a bit of work done. I added an eye-patch, short cape, sword and shield to the base figure. Possibly a little dagger hanging from his belt, too. I see him as a kind of soldier-of-fortune or other roguish type. I'm not sure what happened to retired warriors in the 5th Century... I'll see what I can dig up.

Crusader Miniatures: Purchased for a Gladiator project that flopped spectacularly, I’ve kept this fellow for use as a senator, parvennu or other aristocrat, all whom continued to have an important role in Roman society in the 5th and 6th centuries.

Gripping Beast: Do these need any introduction? The heavily armoured soldiers in the back row are from the Arthurian and Late Roman ranges. Although intended for games set in Cornwell’s Warlord trilogy, they’ll likely see action across the Pond instead (I'll do a post on the where and when soon).

All these figures fit nicely alongside each other, if you’re not too picky, although the sweeping chronology might lead to a few anachronisms. But, nothing that a weapon swap here and there can’t address.

You'll notice that I'm a little wary of using homogenous "ethnic" titles. There's significant debate around this practice which I'd like to go into from a wargaming point of view as we go on. The short version is that when we use terms like Goths or Franks, we are usually referring to the elite minority, and not a homogenous group that identifies ethnically with that term. A term like Germanic, which even more monolithic, is right out (unless we're discussing languages, which we probably won't).

Shocking, I know - what will all those Saga players do now?

I look forward to having these painted soon, and I can already see a few scenarios brewing.

Vale!

No comments:

Post a Comment