Sunday, April 26, 2020

Terrain inspiration: Zegaani monastery, C.5th–7th

Just a quick post to share some inspiration for a small church or chapel. There are some wonderful churches already available, but being a scatch-builder at heart I'm always on the look out for something different.

I came across an image of a small "church" on the grounds of the Zegaani monastery in Georgia. It looks like a nice, easy build to add some flavour to any scenario. I had some trouble identifying the exact date, with ranges from the 5th–7th centuries. I see it as a small shrine or reliquary,  ideal for defending from looters or perhaps as the site of a rumoured hoard buried there before being abandoned.

Well, on with the photos!



Source: wikimapia.org


It will take a little bit of work to get the proportions right, and there might be just enough room for an interior... and check out the ceiling fresco! I would love to visit the site one day.

As for some thoughts on what the interior might look like, I am going to share a very special photograph I was privileged to take inside an iconic structure. I don't want to say too much about the site, but those in the know will be able to figure it out.


Hope you've enjoyed this, and if you have any thoughts on the post be sure to post them below!


3 comments: